A podcast hosted by Dr. Eric Dorfman, Director and CEO of the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences and Dr. Dan Dombrowski, the Museum’s Chief Veterinarian. Along with their featured guests, the hosts identify and explore our innate connections to nature through science, art, and living to promote the importance of preserving and protecting our wildlife and wild places to maintain these connections for better health and happiness. The Biophilia Podcast is a production of the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences.
The Candid Critters Project Management system (CAPS) is a custom web application to support the NC Candid Critters project workflow. CAPS is built using the Laravel MVC Framework with a MYSQL database backend. The web application features a wide array of features that include camera management, reservation and training tracking, site mapping, and custom reports generated on the fly.
The application is modularized to provide support for specific sections of the workflow. This way the application can target and scaled to particular needs providing comprehensive across the entire workflow. These modules with a short description are as follows:
- Volunteers. This module handles the submissions, status, and activities of all project volunteers. The training programs all volunteers must undergo can also be tracked using this module.
- Sites. The geographic distribution and associated metadata of sites are managed through a series of interfaces. Sites belong to one or more types, including proposed camera locations, active data collection sites, and past sites.
- Libraries. Each participating library is given an optional account in the CAPS. This allows them to directly manage their camera inventory, reservation activity, and contact information. If libraries opt-out, then the module seamlessly moves to administrative control.
- Form Submissions. The start of the project workflow beings with a series of custom forms, each for a specific type of volunteer. All form submissions and subsequent routing through the project is managed using this module.
- Web Maps. Closely related to the sites module, the web map module is a centralized management component for all embedded maps and associated resources (e.g. proposed camera sites). The web maps in CAPS contain an array of features including hundreds camera site locations, reverse geocoding, custom map layers, and a feature that allows users to find the nearest library and proposed camera site to their given location.
NC Environmental Restoration Association is a 501c industry group that represents environmental restoration professionals in North Carolina. The website is a ‘single page application'(SPA) where all of the content loads dynamically within a single page request.
A web-based solution for the issuance and tracking of exhibitor authorization to bring live animals to events at the Museum of Natural Sciences. Information stored in the system enables staff to better protect the safety and well-being of visitors by minimizing the impact of emergency or unfortunate event.
The Facilities Ticket and Work Order System is the technological backbone of facilities operations at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. The custom-built application features a wide array of features that include work assignment, custom workflows, notification systems, work status tracking, printable and downloadable report data, and more.
The NCSM Online Collections web application is our flagship search and data-sharing platform for the biological, geological, and paleontological collections at the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences. The application is built on Laravel and Vue.js. Bootstrap takes care of the responsive behavior, vivus.js for SVG animations, and jQuery Datatables for the display and interactivity of search results. Several collections include a web map for georeferenced specimens based on Leaflet and custom GeoJSON API endpoints provided by the NCMNS API.
A secure digital asset management system with features including asset capture, automatic metadata extraction, image viewing and editing, custom categorization, and support for a broad range of file types. Assets are shared, searched, and downloaded through a sophisticated web interface and API.
Ecosystem Planning & Restoration is an environmental firm that provides services to support a sustainable environment with a standard, small company, information-driven website.
A multi-purpose and multi-faceted website serving the North Carolina Museum of Natural Sciences, the largest institution of its kind in the southeastern United States. In January 2019, the website contained 1,920 pages with more than 2,500 page views every day.